Saturday, October 10, 2009

Record of the Eregraine Expedition, Day 2

I am once again impressed by the work that the Knoxworth Company will place into it’s constructs. It is a shame that no more are being sold. Rose is an exemplary model, capable of even more complex instructions. I have already managed to program her to make the tea for the day. That’s more than Michels has been able to do. I can tell he resents taking orders from a woman, but I really have no time for his petty troubles. I have finished my tea and taken time to record more in this journal. Worthington is also taking his rest before he moves back to melting through the ice. The crystals imbedded up and down his arm are pulsing a vivid blue it is difficult to ignore. Still, this cosmetic downfall is nothing compared to the gifts the crystals allow. I have seen Hydrosists work, even Vapourists like Worthington, but I am never the less impressed. The man has willingly turned himself into a human steam generator. He is easily making short work of the rime blocking our progress.

 

Worthington was assigned to me by the Bureau. Michels I hired to do the less complex work and for the small airship he owns. This is the method we used to travel to the north west and up this impressive mountain. We left on the third of this month from Portal-Whitesmith, taking the route over the forest. It was an exciting early morning for me, the mist still rising from the dense pines. The craft we took was small as a necessity – as mentioned, the first group her had to turn back for want of a safe berth for their craft.

 

We stopped for fuel in Kernow and Borealis. While both cities interested my greatly, with their history, architecture and collections, we did not stay for more than a day in each, only buying the most necessary supplies. We only prepared for our long haul on the mountain when we reached cold Markland, stopping in a town of fair size close to the area we strove to reach. I was surprised to see no buildings around the small plateau where we landed, before I remembers that often Marklanders at this height construct their dwellings within the tunnels and rocks of the mountains. A primitive solution to adapt, true, but an ingenious one, nevertheless. The people were genial, but seemed dismissive or even concerned by our mission. I had not expected to find such low superstition here. Though I can understand their general avoidance of the high peaks – it is a harsh place with little reward and none cross it by foot, only passing overhead. However our expedition of course requires a short sojourn to those un-walked places, so we set about purchasing enough food, equipment and the tents to hold them. Michels was upset we did not remain longer to enjoy some of the more physical pleasures the place had to offer, but I had no patience. The weather was being unnaturally cooperative, an opportunity I would not pass over.

 

And thus we arrived here and set to work. It is a daunting theater for this work, but I am confident that the operation shall run smooth. Worthington is a better partner than his standoffish nature would imply and even Michels can be harangued into using his backbone if money is involved. I expect a little over a week’s worth, no more than two. A small price of time to pay for the mysteries of the Pre-Arrival we may uncover.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment